CREATING A CAPSULE WARDROBE FOR FALL

August 27, 2014


By now, you know I love a good capsule wardrobe. I always create one for when I travel. It involves planning out the least amount of pieces that will create the greatest amount of options, while minimizing the amount of space used in my suitcase.

It works pretty brilliantly for travel, but I never thought to create one for my own closet, and what I wear day to day. I had a lightbulb moment when I revisited a line that, to be honest, never appealed to me before. Often stereotyped as something for ladies my mother's age, I ended up finding tons of versatile pieces from Eileen Fisher that can be mixed and matched all season long. Cheap, no. But well built, and tailored to perfection, yes. They just feel good on your skin.

Fall is a time of big wardrobe buying for me. With the climate I live in, I can get wear out of the pieces I buy this time of year almost year round. I tend to spend a lot now, save a bundle when you might be buying cutoffs and sandals.

This season, I decided to limit myself to a certain number of pieces that can be mixed to create an outfit for every need. That magic number for me? 30. You probably have some of these pieces in your closet already, and you can use those to build your own capsule for fall.


THE 30 PIECES



I could create enough outfits to last me months with these 30 pieces, but here are a few to get you inspired.









14 Comments:

  1. I'm hoping to do my first capsule wardrobe this fall and this is great inspiration! I love so many of the pieces in your capsule wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you checked out un-fancy.com? Caroline has great worksheets and tips to help make a capsule wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Fall inspiration! And I love how you actually created a few sample outfits as well. This makes me very excited for temps to drop.

    Dana @ The Closet Confessional

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I wish the total price of all of the capsule wardrobe was listed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Wondering where the black, tailored jacket can be found. Not seeing it on the Eileen Fisher website. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra - thank you! I intentionally did not include the price total because I didn't want people to look at the price and be able to say it's not possible for their budget. While these items might be in my price point, I recognize they might not be for others. But, they probably already have great jeans, or a winter coat, or ankle boots, and can use this as inspiration for building a capsule from what they have, or to make a list of items to fill in holes in their wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cathy, it was on Eileen Fisher's website just last week, but unfortunately it looks like they've removed it! You might check with an Eileen Fisher store, but I wouldn't be surprised if it pops back on there in the next few days...it was part of their new fall collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not, but I am a new fan, thank you for sharing her site with me. She has great style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nnenna! I'm glad I could help inspire you. I own a few pieces from this capsule and I would highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Dana! I love fall, I'm just anxious to wear my clothes like you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you tell me about those army green pants in the day of errands post? I can't find them on EF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course! They're available at Nordstrom from Eileen Fisher. I buy almost as much Eileen at Nordstrom as I do at the store. I have these and I would recommend sizing one size up as they're definitely a more narrow, skinny cut. Here's the link: http://rstyle.me/n/psisweyue

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can buy EF on eBay. Might be a season or two old but they are silk and other fine materials.

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover